Site Meter

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Anaïs Nin: poet, feminist, polyamorist, and consanguinamorist

Anaïs Nin



















Then Henry tells me, because he has been jealous and worried, that he has read about those hysterical women who are capable of loving two or three men profoundly at the same time. Is this what I am?
- Anaïs Nin

Anaïs Nin
I reserve the right to love many different people at once, and to change my prince often.
- Anaïs Nin

Joaquin Nin y Castellanos

When Anais was ten years old, [concert pianist] Joaquin Nin abandoned his family altogether. Twenty years later, Anais and her father reunited. "But you are like me," said Joaquin, who then commented on the similarities of their hands and hair. They met again, at which time Joaquin states, "You are the synthesis of all women I have loved. ... I don't feel towards you as if you were my daughter." Anais replied, "I don't feel as if you were my father." He responded, "I have finally met the woman of my life and it is my daughter. ... I'm in love with my own daughter." Anais replied, "Everything you feel is reciprocal."
- Mark T. Erickson, Inbreeding, Incest, and the Incest Taboo

I'd like to point out that 11 is well after the age that imprinting is supposed to happen for the Westermarck effect. While I could understand how the separation could affect Joaquin, given that Anais would look so different as an adult, it's hard to see how the Westermarck Effect wouldn't have still worked for Anais. After being raised by him for 11 years, would he really be such a stranger two decades later? How little we understand consanguinamory.

No comments:

Post a Comment